A smoker is a machine that helps in cooking your meal indirectly at a low temperature by producing a smoky atmosphere. An offset smoker cooks sumptuous and delicious meals by imparting flavors from the smoke produced from the cooking fire. An offset smoker appears just like a usual charcoal grill with two separate chambers. One chamber is meant for cooking and the second chamber is a petite firebox attached to one side. There are three categories of smokers namely vertical, cabinet, and horizontal offset.
Table of contents
- Our Top Pick
- Compare the Best Offset Smoker side by side
- 10 Best Offset Smokers
- 1. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
- 2. Royal Gourmet CC1830F Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
- 3. Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro
- 4. Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker & Grill
- 5. Dyna-Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
- 6. Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker
- 7. Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker, 30” L, New Process Paint Not Flake
- 8. Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Offset Smoker
- 9. Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, Deluxe
- 10. Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker
- How Does An Offset Smoker Work?
- Why Choose An Offset Smoker?
- Things to Consider Before Buying an Offset Smoker
- What to Look For in an Offset Smoker?
Our Top Pick
The most burn-efficient offset smoker
We stated this smoker as the most burn-efficient smoker because its design supports dual doors. As a result, it controls heat loss and requires adding fewer wood chips while using the smoker. Apart from this, it’s made up of heavy-duty steel material along with a high-temperature powder coat finish, which gives this smoker a longer life and durability.
Compare the Best Offset Smoker side by side
10 Best Offset Smokers
Since there is a wide range of offset smokers available in the market, we decided to look at all the available options. This would help us highlight the top 10 products, in no particular order though.
Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker allows you to cook mouth-watering food with the help of charcoal and wood chips. The smoker has emerged suitable for seizing the maximum flavor of smoke. The smoker is equipped with six height-adjustable cooking grates. You will get 1,176 square inches of cooking area which can adjust various types and sizes of food. It is designed to keep direct heat away from your food. Since there is no exposure to direct heat, the food at the bottom will cook at a slow pace. The indirect heat of the smoker adds the flavor of smoke to the food and boosts its taste. You will experience better burn efficiency in the smoker. The steel ash pan is removable and can handle a huge amount of ash for many hours.
- It offers porcelain enameled steel wood chip box
- You will get dual door design which can bring down heat loss
- Offers heavy-duty steel body manufacturing with high-temperature coat finish
- Offers great durability and long life span
- Can accommodate various types and sizes of food
- No user manual available
- Both doors do not seal and leak badly
Royal Gourmet is ideal for all families and you can host a few friends as well without any discomfort. The smoker will serve your purpose if you desire a fast BBQ grill. The smoker is easy to use and clean. You can set up the smoker with ease and cook tasty food for your friends and family. It can hold heat effectively and cook your food evenly and quickly. If you lack expertise in barbecue, the grills of the smoker will turn you into an experienced griller. You can control grilling temperature with ease. The presence of 2 wheels allows you to transport the smoker anywhere in your yard or terrace.
- Offers easy to read thermometer
- Adjustable vent for the effective flow of air
- You can either grill or smoke meat without any hassle
- Lifting handles can adjust the height of the charcoal
- No possibility for any paint chipping off
- Offers front and underneath rack for effective storage
- Heat and smoke may escape
- Many users have a complaint that the paint ended up coming off over a period of time
Char-Griller is manufactured from top quality powder-coated steel and heavy gauge. The grill of the smoker offers you a whopping 830 square inches in the entire cooking space. The grill is manufactured from non-stick cast iron which can prevent warping. The presence of 250 square inches side firebox offers you great smoke flavor. You can easily regulate the heat with the adjustable dampers and fire grate. The heat gauge on the hood allows you to monitor the temperature. It offers the users great durability and keeps your grilling essentials accessible on the three shelves. The offset smoker gives you easy dump ash pan which makes ash disposal a smooth job.
- Offers you adjustable fire grate and a heat gauge
- Manufactured from heavy-duty steel and powder coated for better durability
- Can endure high heat without any trouble
- Grate height can be altered for various types of dishes
- You can add charcoal with the help of removable charcoal drawers
- Paint may come off the side smoker box
- Some issues with quality control
Dyna-Glo offers BBQ lovers five chrome-plated cooking grates and vast cooking space of 1382 square inches. The smoker cooks meat at a slow pace right from the ribs to the brisket. It can effectively grill burgers or brats for your entire family and friends. The availability of pre-installed sausage hooks will give you great flexibility in cooking anything. You get safe access to food in this top quality multifunctional smoker. You can use the offset for grilling the sides or foods that may need different temperatures. The stainless steel temperature gauge offers grill zone and smoke zone indicators. With this, you can maintain a perfect cooking temperature for making tasty food.
- Offers smooth access to fuel and immediate disposal of ash
- Gives you robust and high-quality steel wheels for great mobility
- The feature of cool touch spring lid grip offers you safe access to your food
- Helps in maintaining an ideal temperature for various types of foods
- Offers an external drip pan
- Thin steel construction
- Some issues with heat retention
The first and foremost thing that will strike you immediately about Dyna-Glo offset smoker is its space. The smoker offers a huge cooking area of 1890 square inches. It is equipped with 6 robust cooking grates, charcoal chamber, charcoal grate, and a removable ash pan. You will additionally get custom fit premium cover for protecting your smoker. The cover is sold separately. It is very easy to set up. The unit does a fabulous job of keeping the heat inside. You can also maintain its temperature to cook a wide variety of food. The offset smoker allows you to refuel it without having to open up the cooker side. It offers huge space and you can easily cook an entire turkey.
- Offers users a huge space to cook a wide variety of food
- Ease to assemble
- You can easily regulate the heat for creating smoke
- Offers great durability and long life span
- You can also cold smoke on this unit
- It is controlled by mixing the two vents
- You may require a large amount of charcoal or wood
- Small screws are loose
Royal Gourmet BBQ allows you to cook tasty food without feeling tired or uncomfortable. Cooking becomes an interesting thing when you use this easy to use a smoker. As it has a compact design it can fit almost all backyard space, balconies or patios. The cooking grates offer great durability and you can control the temperature with great ease. One of its most attractive features is the combination offset smoker which gives you an additional 183 inches cooking space. It has emerged highly effective for cooking a smoky flavor. You can also roast any side dish like a vegetable or corn for vegetarians. The feature of removal charcoal and ashes pan will make tending charcoal and dumping ash an easy job.
- Offers scald proof handle for safety
- You can transport it anywhere in your backyard with the help of the robust wheels
- It can easily withstand high temperatures.
- New black coating will not allow the paint to peel off
- Easy to monitor the heat and super easy to clean
- Helps in making the meat tender and tastier
- You can opt for dual style barbecue
- The bottom tray of the smoker looks unappealing
- Some dissatisfaction with the assembly design
The first and foremost feature of Royal Gourmet BBQ is its super easy assembling. Its attractive and user-friendly smoker offers 800 sq inches cooking surface and 483 sq inches of the main chamber. The adjustable damper of the smoker allows a better flow of air. The offset smoker is easy to use, set up and clean. The food gets amazing smoky flavor and the meat remains tender and juicy. You will be able to satisfy the taste buds of your entire family and friends with this super easy to use a smoker. The big capacity of the charcoal pan will allow you to put 5 lbs of charcoal in one go.
- Lifting handle allows you to adjust the height of charcoal for effective and even heating.
- It offers great heat resistance.
- As it is portable you can transport it anywhere
- Provides you top-quality performance
- It can hold heat with great ease
- Paint tends to flake
- The charcoal box is small
Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Offset Smoker offers you a separate firebox which is connected to the main chamber. The professional temperature gauge allows you to regulate the heat by lifting or lowering the charcoal grate in the firebox. It offers 1060 square inch of cooking space in two cooking chambers. You can indirectly cook your vegetables, meat or anything else you may like. It allows you to grill directly a few meals. You can cook 4 complete meals or 8 burgers without facing any hassles at all. You can also remove ash with complete ease. The provision of heavy gauge all steel construction will provide a long lifespan to your new grill.
- It provides spacious storage shelf for holding all your grilling accessories
- It requires minimal assembly
- Offers thicker gauge metal around the smoker
- Easy to put together
- Allows you to easily maintain temperature when you cook briskets
- Gives you a tremendous amount of grilling space
- May attract rust
- Removal of ash may become a tiresome job
The 3 in 1 smoker makes cooking a memorable and fun-long experience. You will relish the food every time you cook it for your family and friends. Char-Broil American can barbecue or grill as per your requirement with the availability of 670 square inches cooking surface. You will get multiple adjustable dampers for regulating heat and smoke effectively in the cooker. The presence of the storage rack will make it possible to keep the entire cooking utensil in your reach. You can also keep the additional charcoal close by with the help of this storage rack. The chrome-plated handles will protect your hands and prevent them from scalding. With this offset smoker, you can prepare as many flavors as possible. The product offers great ease of use to the users and makes cooking an enjoyable task. As it works really great in grilling more and more users ended up using it for grilling instead of smoking.
- It offers you porcelain-coated grates
- Welded cooking chambers help in keeping smoke inside
- Attached side handles and wheels allow smooth movement
- Offers easy to access drawers
- Offers great durability due to its steel construction
- As it is small, it smokes great
- The paint may start to peel off over a period of time
- The smokestack has some gap
Oklahoma Joe’s Highland smoker will make cooking a thoroughly enjoyable job. You will love to invite your friends to a sumptuous meal and have some leisure time with them. The smoker gives you a vast cooking chamber and a firebox to handle additional items on the side. You can think of keeping your accessories in an organized manner because of the front and bottom shelves. You will get multiple dampers for effectively controlling heat and smoke. Seasoning helps in producing a carbon layer that can coat the steel and prevents the formation of rust. It offers plenty of space to cook 14 pounds of brisket or three huge chickens. The presence of smooth access door on the firebox makes stoking and adding wood a simple task which you will not detest. It offers several units equipped with removable coal beds in the cook chamber. They have emerged perfectly for combo units. One of the amazing features of this unit is that it offers you a huge cooking area.
- Offers robust quality and ease of use
- Helps you cook tender meat with mouth-watering flavor
- Allows you to easily adjust the vents
- You will get plenty of smoke for your food
- Offers great longevity at a cost-effective price
- Internal temperature is not even
- Burn box paint peeled off after use
How Does An Offset Smoker Work?
You need to supply charcoal and wood in the firebox where the two get ignited. This is the only source of heat used for cooking. The smoke and heat are then directed via an opening between the main cooking compartment of the smoker and the firebox. The heat and smoke then finally make an exit from the stack or chimney. You get the option of regulating the temperature and the quantity of the smoke inside the cooking chamber.
Why Choose An Offset Smoker?
The biggest advantage of buying an offset smoker is the amount of space it provides you to cook your favorite meals. A large number of offset smokers offer you adequate cooking space which may include 2 to 3 individual racks. Therefore, you can smoke a good quantity of meat at once which will help in saving your time, efforts, and money. You can smoke even an entire pig in the offset smoker. All you have to do just choose the right size that will help in solving your purposes. With an offset smoker, you may require to add more fuel or just stoke the fire after prolonged hours of smoking. And, there is no need for lifting the lid in order to access the fire on the cooking chamber. This will help in keeping the heat intact and you do not have to extend your smoking duration. Moreover, there is no need for searching room for both the charcoal grill as well as a smoker. Most of the offset smokers are a combination of smokers and grills where you just need to ignite charcoal in the main cooking chamber and grill as per your requirement and style.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Offset Smoker
You need to consider a few essential factors before making your purchase of an offset smoker. There are pros and cons of various devices and you need to check them to zero down on best product:
- The first and foremost factor is the weather condition of the place where you reside. Frequent bad weather conditions like strong winds, incessant rainfall, cold conditions, and low temperatures may have a negative impact on the smoker. Such conditions can also impact the performance of the offset smoker.
- The next factor is the availability of space. If you have a small yard or live in an apartment, it is not ideal to buy an offset smoker. As most of the offset smokers are equipped with a large footprint, you need to have adequate space.
- The fire in an offset smoker requires your constant attention and care to make sure that it is burning continuously. You must check that the fire is burning at the correct size for several hours.
- You must learn a few essential tips to operate a smoker in an effective manner. If you don’t hone your abilities for operating a smoker you may end up getting frustrated.
What to Look For in an Offset Smoker?
If you have zeroed down on your ideal smoker then don’t miss the following features given below:
You can regulate the temperature of a smoker simply by controlling the oxygen supply. Oxygen has emerged as one of the essential elements to ignite a fire. The higher the oxygen, the more will be the fire. If you find the smoker’s vents way too small or solid for adjustment, you will face difficulties in managing the temperature. In a smoker, maintaining a constant temperature is the essential factor for producing good smoking. Therefore, internal venting has emerged as a key feature. You must check the connection between the main chambers and the firebox. If the main chamber and firebox reach the grill height, chances will be slim to get ideal heat distribution.
As heat tends to surge above, it will be better not to start the heat at the same height as the meat or other food. You can explore lower connections for effective dispersion of heat. You may also opt for a reverse flow technology smoker. The heat and smoke will go twice the length of your cooking chamber.
- Metal Weight:
The major shortcoming of an offset smoker is the very same thing that manufactures it which is the offset firebox. If the smoker is manufactured using lightweight metals, it will produce huge amounts of heat along with its length. You will witness a hot zone at one side and cool zone at the other one. It will require you to constantly move the meat around which you never desired. It is ideal to buy a heavy-duty smoker to reduce heat loss and maintain the temperature at a consistent level at all sides.
- Good Quality Paint:
Never look for such smokers which offer a fancy paint job for an effectively smoked meat. Instead, you should opt for good quality high heat paint. If you see the paint chipping off due to high heat the smoker may end up attracting rust. Rust will not only mar the appearance of the smoker but it will cause thinning of the metal. It will impact performance and cause heat loss.
- Handy Rollers:
A top quality smoker must be equipped with a robust set of wheels for free movement. It will allow you to move it from one place to another with ease in your yard.
It is one of the most crucial aspects of an offset smoker. It is ideal to use meat thermometers to decide the extent of food being cooked. You must check the temperature of a smoker from inside in the entire process. You should be able to determine when the grill got ready for the correct initial temperature. The smoker must be equipped with a top-quality calibrated built-in temperature gauge.
- Adequate Storage:
Space is one of the most important factors that you cannot neglect. And, it applies to any grill. A good smoker will utilize even the dead space you notice between the legs by providing a shelf or grate. You can keep big items there. It must also offer space to keep plates, spices, sauce bottles, and beverages.
- Say No to Huge Bargains:
The market is flooded with economical and inexpensive smokers. You can find them online or at the stores in big quantity. And, the low price may lure you enough that you may end up shelling out the sum to buy them. But be careful as such smokers may leave you with a daunting experience. They are manufactured using low-quality products and make smoking a herculean job.
When you buy smokers in good bargains, it may cause inadequate ventilation, ineffective seals, low-quality hinges, fragile wheels, etc. It may put a negative impact on your cooking experience. However, if you love experimenting, you can still turn your cheap smoker into a great smoker with small customization. A few individuals love fidgeting with complex jobs and may opt for applying high heat silicone to upgrade a cheap unit. You may come across several success stories on the Internet and some useful videos as well. Therefore, you can bring your creativity to the fore and apply the creative ideas on your purchase of cheap offset smoker. You may spend your time customizing instead of cooking your favorite meal. Meanwhile, it is always possible to buy great quality smoker without having to spend a fortune. Think from all perspectives and then arrive at a decision regarding your purchase of a smoker.
Through this detailed review, we aimed to offer you ideas regarding what to look for in an offset smoker. There are several types of smokers available in the market. These smokers offer excellent value for money and cover a wide range of budgets and needs. The smokers look cool in your backyard and you can cook huge quantity of the food as per the requirement. You need to consider your needs whether you want a spacious smoker or a small one and make your purchase accordingly. With the availability of a smoker, you can cook delicious food and save your time and energy. The major advantage of buying a smoker is that you need not look for space for both the charcoal grill and smoker. There are some smokers that offer you enough space to smoke plenty of meat in one go.