You need to be very careful about the overall well-being and health of your furry friend, from the Ultimate Pet Nutrition they eat to the toys and activities they get to play with. It is not ideal or healthy to keep your pet confined indoors the entire day. Outdoor play is significant for your pet as this is the time when he can exercise, get fresh air and all the sunshine. And, your pet will love it most when he can move around unobstructed. This helps them keep their muscles and joints healthy, otherwise they may degrade to where they may need orthopedic beds for dogs to rest in.
If you have a large lawn or some space outside your home, consider an effective fence system for your dog. This will allow them to frolic around and get the exercise they need without you worrying about them escaping your yard and chasing a squirrel across the interstate. While you’re at it, consider getting an outdoor house for your dog, which can be his or her resting space while still being in the fenced area. That’s why it’s important that you get the best outdoor dog house for hot or cold weather in which your dog can rest comfortably after a session of running about and playing. Nevertheless, the best wireless dog fence will keep all troubles at bay and allow safe movements for your pet.
Here are our top picks for good quality dog fences in 2020. Take a read and see if there’s one that’s right for you and your pooch.
Our Top Pick
The best waterproof and submersible wireless dog fence
Extreme dog fence 2nd generation standard grade kit offers several enticing features. It has been specifically designed to fit any size of dogs. It offers excellent signal strength and the wire is heavy-duty. As the collar offers a long strap, you will find it easy to adjust to any size of dogs. With its effective and robust transmitter, you may add a vast number of dogs.
Compare the Best Wireless Dog Fence Side by Side
10 Best Wireless Dog Fence
Since there is a wide range of wireless dog fences available in the market, we decided to look at all the available options. This would help us highlight the top 10 products, in no particular order though.
The Extreme Dog Fence is a DIY pet containment dog fence system that can cover up to 6 acres of land with ease. The owner finds it easy to install. The electric dog fence kit offers you everything that is required to contain 1 dog. Upon the purchase of an additional 20 gauge dog fence wire, the transmitter can easily cover up to 6 acres of land. You can have an endless number of dogs with this underground dog fence system. The dog fence system is waterproof. Even if it is submerged, you will not face any problems. Your dog can also swim with his collar on without affecting the functionality.
- It is entirely waterproof and submersible
- Easy to wire and install components
- Offers clear and concise instructions
- Offers lightweight wire which is quite easy to work with
- Comes with twisted wire which offers convenience
- Some malfunctioning with the control box after using it for one year
- Random shocks
SportDOG fence system can easily contain an endless number of dogs with the availability of additional collar. The fence system has emerged quite useful for individuals living in a huge property and with many pets. The underground wire electric fence is perfect to keep your furry friends contained within the stipulated area. It offers easy to install kit which gives you everything required to cover 1 1/3 acres of property. It can be conveniently expanded to cover approximately 100 acres of land with more flags and wire. The collar will give tone and vibration warning before turning to one of the four static stimulation levels. As the receiver collar offers resistance from water, your pet can play freely even during rain in your yard.
- It offers vast area coverage
- It is quite easy to set up the secured fencing system with the availability of 1000 feet long boundary wire
- Offers a robust wire break alarm
- It offers a shield from a surge in power or lightning strike
- Offers low battery indicator
- Its installation is time-consuming
- You may have to do a lot of digging and fencing
SportDOG 100-Acre In-Ground Pet Fence offers complete security to a pet and total comfort to the family. It is ideal for pets weighing over 10 pounds. You will not face any complications as far as installation is concerned. The easy to install kit offers 1000 feet of cable which can be expanded to an extra 100 acres of property. The collar receiver of the popular fence system gives a warning beep in case your pet crosses the warning zone. The fence system is quite effective, safe and comfortable for your pet. It is equipped with built-in lightning protection.
- Offers protection against the rays
- You can use it on several dogs with the purchase of additional necklaces
- It covers a wide area and can be expanded as per requirement
- Offers a heavy-duty battery
- Gives an alarm in case there is some damage to the fencing system
- Issues with the battery with no indication for dying battery
- Inconsistent operation at times
Your furry friend’s favorite activity is of course and moving hither and thither all over your property. It gives him an opportunity to exercise and inhale some fresh air. However, with a wired fence, it may become difficult for him to roam around freely. For you, it will cause enormous stress and tiredness. With PetSafe wireless fence system, your pet will receive training to stay within the designated area. The kit offers you a transmitter, adjustable collar, power adaptor, charger, etc. It is totally portable and you do not have to bury any wire. The rechargeable receiver collar charges in a span of just 2 to 3 hours.
- It offers you adjustable correction levels depending on your dog personality and breed
- Offers you adjustable collar sizes
- It gives you a vast wireless coverage of over 105 feet
- It gives you a long battery life
- The portability feature of the fence system makes it handy
- The transmitter of the fence system has compatibility issues with the metal
- Does not function perfectly around any type of electrical field
5. PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System – from the Parent Company of INVISIBLE FENCE Brand
PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat fence system eliminate all the digging around your property. It offers a smooth and easy installation. The wireless system helps in creating a secure acre circular boundary for your pet. It takes just 1 to 2 hours of time to install the fence system. When you buy this fence system you will also receive an adjustable collar. It has emerged ideal for pets weighing 8 pounds or above. It can effectively contain an unlimited number of pets with just a single fence system. The collar battery lasts for nearly 2 month period. It will give you an alert the moment battery is low.
- It allows you to add an unlimited number of collars
- It allows you to personalize the dog’s collar settings
- The waterproof collar can fit a pet weighing 8 pounds or above
- Since it is a portable system, it has emerged ideal for vacationing and camping
- You can easily set it up in a few hours because of its simple set up
- Some inconsistency with the system
- There are no signals in a few areas
Free Spirit is a simple dog fence system that allows your pup approximately a third an acre to move around. The system also allows you to expand it to a full acre of land. The attractive kit gives you a three-week average battery life which is rechargeable. The collar is waterproof and your dog can enjoy the vicinity even in rain. The system has been designed to fit any dog weighing over 5 lbs. It offers a great connection to the main receiver. The collar will produce warning beep and vibration if your dog approaches wire. The system offers 5 levels of shock and you may select the level that best suits your pet.
- The collar is waterproof and rechargeable
- Offers great value for money and affordable
- Beeps and vibrates whenever necessary
- Offers 5 levels of shocks
- Allows your pup to run free in the entire yard
- No inclusion of surge protector
- The wire offered in the kit is thin
Sit Boo-Boo electric fence system comes with an auto train feature. It can automatically adjust the level of correction on the basis of your pup’s behavior. For instance, if your furry friend ends up ignoring the audible beep, it will produce a vibration warning. Even if that also fails to stop your pet from stepping out of bounds, he will get an electric shock. And, your pet will not at all hurt by this and returns to the safe zone. The system offers a top-quality wire which is durable. The collar is waterproof and can be submerged up to one centimeter. You will also get an upgraded transmitter that can cover approximately 20 acres of range with more wiring.
- It can automatically adjust the level of correction
- It takes into consideration the safety and security of your pet all the time
- Offers you an upgraded wire and transmitter
- You can use it with an optional remote trainer
- Offers great quality wire that is highly durable
- May not always reliable depending on the layout of your property
- The collar is a little heavy
Pet Control HQ Electric Dog Fence system can cover nearly 10 acres of land. The transmission collar is equipped with an anti-barking setting. The system offers you a remote control with manual training and correction features. The collar provided by the dog fence system can fit 11 to 154-pound dogs without any hassle. Its anti-linger feature is very helpful in saving battery. You can purchase additional collars for more dogs. It comes with the tone, vibration, and 5 levels of static correction. The dog fence system has emerged suitable for sports breed and guardian dogs. It gives you 5 levels of static correction for each collar.
- Its collar can fit a neck size from 8 to 27 inches
- It gives you a heavy-duty wire
- You can use it even for smaller size pets
- Offers you an in-ground fence and remote trainer
- You can easily customize your electronic dog fence system to suit the yard
- Collar strap material is not up to the mark
- You may find it a little too expensive
With PetSafe Free to Roam fence system, you do not have to indulge in the task of burying the wires. Its top-quality waterproof collar can fit dogs weighing over 5 pounds. The collar can fit a neck size from 6 to 28 inches. One of the most stunning features of the dog fence system is its amazingly long battery life. The battery can last approximately 2 months before the low battery indicator beeps. The system allows you to teach your pet to stay in the designated play areas with sound only training mode. It has emerged ideal for huge outdoor space. You can train an unlimited number of furry friends with a single fence by just purchasing the additional collar.
- It offers you 5 levels of static shock correction
- The signal is highly effective in flat areas
- The portable system is excellent for camping and vacations
- Eliminates the requirement of burying wires
- You can add an unlimited number of collars
- You may face some hassles in establishing consistency
- May not be effective in hilly regions
DNPet Wireless dog fence system allows your pet the safe and free movements in the yard. You can save your energy while installing it as there is no digging and burying of wires involved. The receiver collar automatically produces warning tone and electrostatic shock mode if your pet crosses the safe zone. The receiver offers great durability and you can recharge it. It has emerged suitable for pets with a neck size from 6 inches to 28 inches. You can control an unlimited number of furry friends with the purchase of additional compatible receivers. It offers an adjustable range and covers approximately 69 acres of land.
- It offers an adjustable collar which is motion detective
- The price range of the fence system is affordable
- The collar is equipped with the tone, vibration, and static correction
- The dog responds perfectly to the tone
- No hassles of digging or burying wires
- Some issues with the battery charging
- Sometimes vibrates or shocks without any reason
How to Choose the Best Wireless Dog Fence – Buying Guide
Look for the following factors and see which one fits your requirements:
1. Area You Need to Cover:
Ask yourself how much area you may require to cover. If you require a hidden dog fence which may cover a small area or something which can cover a wide area of land. All you have to do is just measure the area you may require to keep your furry friends confined. You need to measure the boundaries from one end to the opposite end. You can now purchase a dog fence system that can cover the radius of about half of that measurement. In case you have a rectangular area to cover, take into account shorter sides distance.
2. Type of Battery:
While buying a dog fence system you need to be very careful about the type of battery you get. There are two types of battery. Either it will be a ‘use and throw’ non-rechargeable type of battery or a rechargeable type of battery. It could either be a lithium battery or an RFA-67 battery. Now you must ensure that you buy something along with a rechargeable battery.
3. Battery Life:
You need to buy a battery that offers strong performance as there are plenty of wireless fence systems offering rechargeable batteries. But, the sad thing is that these batteries are not durable and you may end up charging them frequently. You need to make sure that the collar is equipped with a battery indicator. Some leading brands offer an amazing battery life of 3 weeks.
4. Size of the Dog:
It is another important aspect that you must consider while buying a dog fence system. Always check the size of your dog as some products may be compatible with your pet but not recommended. These products may easily fit a petite-sized dog. But, the tender necks of the small pets may not be able to carry the weight of the receiver. So, consider the size of your pet before buying a dog fence system.
5. Changeable Level of Static Correction:
It is another important aspect that you cannot overlook. Since all dogs are not the same, they may react differently to various factors. Therefore, the intensity of the static correction that is ideal for one dog may not be perfect for the other dog.
6. Type of Warning (Buzz or Beep):
With this, your dog will come to know whether he is stepping out of his designated zone or not. The moment he has achieved sufficient training, he can notice whenever he steps out of the safe zone. He will be able to return back to the safe zone with the help of a buzz or beep.
Dog loves to enjoy the most whether it is a football or water. They hardly care whether they get wet or dirty. Therefore, you must ensure that the device is water-resistant and robust. Investing in a device that is waterproof will be a safe investment for you and your pet.
8. The difficulty of Installation:
The important feature of a dog fence system that you cannot ignore is the ease of installation. You should invest in such a fence system where you only need to spend 2 to 3 hours to set it up completely. There are some devices that may require an entire day in installation. You should avoid buying them. You must be aware that the initial installation procedure of a wireless fence system will require two persons.
9. Warranty Period:
A wireless fence is a huge investment and you must be careful about the warranty period aspect. It is natural to anticipate that the fence system should last at least three to four years. You must invest in those fence systems that offer great warranty and good customer service.
10. GPS or Radio Frequency:
The wireless fence system can be purchased in two types. You can distinguish it on the basis of the technology used for detecting your pet. Some fence systems use radio frequency while others use a GPS system. Both systems have their own advantages and disadvantages. Radiofrequency may face hindrance from trees, levitation or trees. However, they work effectively during rain. Meanwhile, GPS is far better in avoiding hindrances but may not work effectively during rain.
11. Slideable Collar Receiver:
Recently, many dog fence manufacturers have begun to introduce this feature in their wireless system. Now they manufacture the collar receivers in such a way that they can easily detach from the collar. It will allow you to be slid into the collar you like without being in any sort of dilemma at all.
FAQs for Wireless Dog Fence
Q: Can I use a wireless dog fence during rain?
Ans – Yes, you can easily use your wireless dog fence during a drizzle. However, if it is pouring heavily, you should avoid using any sort of electric pet fence. The main reason behind avoiding them is because rain may act as an obstacle to the electronic signals. The pet may also get a shock and may end up traumatizing him.
Q: Is it better to have a wired or a wireless fence installed in the house?
Ans – Wireless dog fence systems have emerged as the latest electric fence for your pups. Electric dog fence systems are more helpful than the in-ground fence system. If you have a vast yard, it may prove to be a huge task to install a wired fence all around your home. It will also prove to be a costly affair. And, in case of some damage, you will find it difficult to spot the exact location where the damage occurred.
Q: Are wireless electric dog fences effective?
Ans – Wireless electric dog fences have proved to be highly effective and durable. They can easily train your furry friend not to step out of his designated area. And, in case he steps out of the safe zone, the warning beep been will alert your pet to return to the safe zone.
Q: Do invisible dog fences hurt dogs?
Ans – No, there is no such instance of invisible dog fences hurting your pup. They are manufactured to give your pup a totally harmless static correction. After a few days of training with these dog fence systems, your pet will begin to understand the marked zone.
Q: Can I use a Wireless Dog Fence for a Puppy?
Ans: It is ideal not to use it as it is tough for the pup to link it with boundaries and therefore you won’t be able to train them. However, there is no harm caused by shocks. You should wait for a couple of days before you begin to use a wireless invisible fence for your pup. The minimum age for a pup to use the wireless dog fence is about 10 weeks.
What is a Wireless Dog Fence?
A wireless dog fence is equipped with a transmitter, some flags, and a dog collar also known as the receiver. When you use all these things combined, it will teach or train your dog to remain within the boundaries. Previously, many individuals relied on different types of dog fencing options such as in-ground fence systems. Firstly, those invisible dog fence systems proved difficult to install. You had to dig around your home which drained your energy as it took the entire day. After installation, these fence systems were difficult to coordinate with.
Several conditions like weather, accidental damage, and wire breaks may affect conditions of an above-ground electronic dog fence. These fence systems proved to be wastage of time and money.
The introduction of the wireless dog fence system eliminated all the troubles faced by the previous options of dog fence systems. These wireless fence systems work like magic. With these fence systems, your dog can roam freely outside the four walls of your home. And, the price of the fence systems will not cause a hole in your pocket.
Comparison between a Wired and a Wireless Dog Fence
The major difference between a wired and a wireless dog fence system is the ease of use and great convenience. An in-ground fence system may cause a lot of woes for your furry friend. You may end up digging all around your beautiful home to install the wire. After a day of hard work, the digging job gets over leaving you drained of your energy.
- A wired dog fence is difficult to install and involves huge digging of your home’s boundaries. Only after digging, you could install it. After installing, you need to cover it as well. Meanwhile, the wireless dog fence is super easy to install. You only need to adjust the transmitter and install flags around boundaries.
- The installation process is time-consuming and requires manpower in the wired fence system. While in a wireless fence, you only have to switch on the power and set boundaries. It requires just 2 to 3 hours in installation.
- In case there is some damage or breakage in a wired fence system, it becomes a cumbersome job to find out the exact spot. While in the case of a wireless fence system, you do not witness any incident of breakage.
- It is not feasible to install a wired fence all around a big and vast house, and it is a very costly affair as well. Meanwhile, in a wireless fence system, you do not have to worry about the size of the house or the cost of the wire.
A wireless dog fence will not only keep you assured but will take care of your pup as well. It has emerged completely safe to keep your dog in the marked safe zone. It will allow him to breathe fresh air, exercise, and play as much as he likes. If your dog is playing in the yard without any worries of being lost, he will also remain healthy and happy. The dog fence systems have also proved to be entirely harmless for your pet. So, boost the safety and health of your pet with the best wireless dog fence today.