Over recent years, the idea of riding a motorcycle has increased in popularity. More people are beginning to turn to this mode of transportation when they want to try something new, or at least, enhance their reputation. When you decide that you want a motorcycle, like a Harley-Davidson, you will be surprised to know that you need to get a few things in order before being able to feel the wind in your hair and the breeze on your face. From ensuring that you have the right license, and have passed all relevant tests, to getting all of your safety gear, you need to make sure that you get everything in order first. However, the most important thing that you need to have in your possession is a helmet.
Riding a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous than driving a car. There is less protection around you and you’re on a much lighter vehicle. If you do get into an accident that isn’t your fault then it’s a good idea to contact the attorneys at Udall Shumway so you can get compensation for any damages or injuries you may have suffered from. The higher risk of getting injured just goes to show how important it is to wear a moto helmet and other protective equipment. Keeping yourself safe should always be a top priority for those who spend most of their time riding a motorcycle and they might consider wearing a durable helmet (for instance, Scorpion EXO-AT950 Neocon helmet) to avoid any mishaps. If you’re looking for a new helmet then we have some of the top picks ready for you below.
Something to bear in mind is that some items are so personal that there is no “best,” the various features and designs that every individual seeks make for their own personal best. However, there are good and bad items, where the good use of high-quality materials, are fabricated and assembled to precision and are reliable, dependable and extremely safe.
Picking a moto helmet is one of those personal issues, where features and designs come together and attract different individuals. Price may be a factor when it comes to picking the right helmet for you – and you can see some of the budget helmets available, that still provide great protection, here for under $100.
|Photo||Product name||Fog resistant||Weight||More information|
|1. HJC 582-614 IS-17||No||4.95 pounds||View on Amazon|
|2. Gmax GM54||No||4.35 pounds||View on Amazon|
|3. Vega Helmets 42000-015 VR1||No||3.65 pounds||View on Amazon|
|4. Nolan Speed Junkie Adult N21||No||16 pounds||View on Amazon|
|5. Scorpion EXO-R710||Yes||1.55 pounds||View on Amazon|
|6. Torc T14B||No||4.95 pounds||View on Amazon|
|7. Bell Qualifier Street Helmet||Yes||3.5 pounds||View on Amazon|
|8. ILM Full Face Motorcycle Street Bike Helmet||Yes||2.98 pounds||View on Amazon|
|9. LS2 Helmets Strobe Solid Modular||Yes||4 pounds||View on Amazon|
|10. O'Neal 0817-504 Sierra II||Yes||3.5 pounds||View on Amazon|
|11. Black Brand Cheater.75||No||2.8 pounds||View on Amazon|
|12. AGV Unisex-Adult K-3||Yes||5.5 pounds||View on Amazon|
|13. CKX Tranz 1.5 RSV||No||3.9 pounds||View on Amazon|
There are three main features that you must check before buying a helmet, and those are:
Fit: Perhaps the most important feature of all helmets, how snug does it fit on you, and what kind of fit are you looking for? A whole head and face, or just a cover for your scalp? No matter the design, when you put it on your head and close the straps, is it snug, is it comfortable and do you forget to take it off, because it’s such a comfortable fit? (We won’t discuss fit here since this is literally individual.
Features: What does the helmet provide apart from safety? Perhaps a Bluetooth connection to your cellphone? A sun-visor? An all-weather visor? Quick release straps?
Certified: This relates to both materials and structural design. Are the materials strong and resilient? Is the design efficient and does the helmet have DOT or Snell certification? There are others, but Snell is the best, and DOT is mandatory.
Here are the best moto helmets:
Now let’s take a look at the best helmets in their categories and after the review, a quick conclusion to wrap it all up.
This guide is split between helmets under $200 and helmets under $150.
HJC is a global company producing a wide range of helmets for all bike applications. Their range includes official Marvel and Starwars designs, and they are all DOT certified.
This is there is-17 full face model, and it comes in a number of colors.
The HJC comes with many advanced features that provide great protection and includes:
- Impact absorbing, multiple density EPS liner
- One-Touch Integrated Smoke-Tinted SunShield with three stage multiple positions with locking mechanism.
- Optically-superior Anti-scratch Pinlock face shield with Anti-Scratch coating
- RapidFire Shield Replacement System
- ACS Advanced Channeling Ventilation System Full front to back airflow flushes heat and humidity up and out.
Advanced Polycarbonate Compact Shell that is DOT Certified
This is the Gmax GM54 full face helmet; it comes with some nifty safety electronics that includes a kit connecting a LED light to your bikes braking system. This is a modular helmet that enables the flip-jaw to rotate further back on the crown of the helmet
The GM54 is full of features, and these include:
- Distortion free clear single lenses shield
- Integrated multi-function red L.E.D. rear light
- Lightweight Vents for interior controlled air flow.
- Side and rear venting
- Coolmax comfort liner and Removable cheek pads
- Built in speaker pockets
- Soft padded chin strap
Thermo-plastic poly alloy shell D.O.T. certified
The VR1 by Vega Helmets is a great value for money helmet; it comes with a modular flip-up helmet system and a secure metal-to-metal locking, drop down inner sun-shield with the adaptable ventilated waterproof design. As well as a number of attractive features to make your ride more comfortable.
- Removable optically correct, multi-position clear shield and inner sun shield.
- A removable comfort tech wick-dry liner,
- Pre-drilled holes for easy Bluetooth speaker installation,
- A padded quick-release strap system
- High density channeled air flow EPS liner.
US DOT standard FMVSS 218 & ECE R 22.05
This is a great retro designed helmet, sort of a hybrid 1950’s style test pilot helmet for bikers. This model comes in a variety of designs, and all are really nifty looking. You also get different colors for the lining, so you can really play around with the design.
- Scratch-resistant treatment on both sides of VPS (Vision Protection Shield) plus UV400
- Nolan Microlock retention system. The fully adjustable chin strap is integrated into the inner
- Helmet lock ring
- Frontal air intakes on select models.
- Removable, washable, antibacterial inner padding with an attached neck roll
This is around 950g. Ncom ready Lexan™ polycarbonate shell (Multi). D.O.T. certified (in the US) ECE 22.05 (EU)
The Scorpion EXO-R710 is an edition of the R-series that Scorpion introduced to strengthen its brand. This model is optimized for weight distribution, so its fit and comfort will constantly be realized.
- EverClear face shield with fog-free technology, anti-scratch hardened coating and 100% UV protection
- Aero-Tuned Ventilation that provides four intake ports across the front of the helmet
- Dual-Density EPS multi-layer including EPS lining throughout the chin bar
- Emergency Release System tabs allow easy removal of the cheek pads
- KwikWick II moisture-wicking lining anti-microbial and hypo-allergenic material
- Speaker pockets
Snell and D.O.T. certified TriMatrix Shell, which is a proprietary mix of interlaced fiberglass and Aramid fibers
This is the Torc T14B Bluetooth helmet that was developed for the perfect ride experience. Integrating Bluetooth technology into a flat panel shield and is the leader in flat panel shielding helmets.
- Removable and washable laser cut comfort seam liner.
- Smoothlock drops down visor system with retractable drop down internal sun visor.
- Dual density EPS.
- Flat panel optically correct shield.
- Blinc Bluetooth featuring the Torc integrated Bluetooth audio system
Advanced Thermo Polymer Alloy Shell that is ECE and DOT Certified
This is the Bell Qualifier series helmet that comes with all the standard features you would expect from a great but budget-friendly helmet.
- ClickRelease™ for a fast, easy, and tool-free shield swap
- Contoured Cheek Pads
- Integrated Speaker Pockets
- NutraFog II™ anti-fog, anti-scratch and UV-protected shield
- Padded Chin-Strap with D-Ring Closure
- Padded Wind Collar reducing wind and road noise
- Removable and Washable Comfort Liner
- Velocity Flow Ventilation™ system with FlowAdjust™
D.O.T. and ECE certified Lightweight Polycarbonate/ABS Shell Construction
This is a basic yet versatile bike helmet; it’s so budget friendly it’s worthwhile having one of these around as a spare for passengers.
- Wide View, Anti-Scratch, and Anti-Fog Function Visors
- Removable and washable helmet Liner and Cheek Pads
- Quick Release Clasp and Strap
- Sold with Winter Scarf, Tinted Visor, and Clear Visor;
Lightweight Durable ABS Shell that meets the FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards
The LS2 Strobe modular full-face motorcycle helmet designed for the everyday rider and provides excellent protection. This is a budget-friendly frill-free no-nonsense helmet.
- Twin Shield quick release system is a 3D Optically Correct “A Class” Polycarbonate; Scratch Resistant, UV Resistant, Fog Resistant
- Removable and Washable Comfort Liner; Breathable, Hypoallergenic, Laser-Cut Foam with Chin Curtain
- Quick Release Strap
- Reinforced Chin Strap
- Reflective Safety Patch
- Multi-Density EPS
- Neck Roll
Kinetic Polycarbonate Alloy (KPA) DOT approved and Certified ECE 22.05
This is the O’Neal 0817-504 Sierra II that comes at a very affordable price. It’s a standard issue helmet; it provides all the basics you would expect and is very comfortable.
- Clear Visor plus secondary integrated sun visor
- Pinlock 30 fog resistant lens included
- Removable and washable sweat absorbing inner padding
- Vent holes for optimal ventilation
- Height adjustable helmet shield
- Double-D safety lock
ABS shell Compliant with the ECE 22-05 and DOT standards
Black Brand produce some of the most basic and no-nonsense helmets on the market. You just put it on your head and start to ride. These are one of the smallest DOT approved helmets on the market.
Five-snap design allows compatibility for a wrapped shield, bubble shield or visor
DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard.
When you consider what you are getting for the price you pay, this is perhaps the most advanced and technologically sound helmets you will get for the price you pay. It’s an amazing deal, and the K3 range comes in a variety of color options, you only pay more for the different design, not the structure, which is identical in all K3 models.
- 4 EPS sizes optimized using the FEM (Finite Elements Analysis) system
- 4 front vents and 2 rear extractors vents
- XQRS (X-tra Quick Release System) visor mechanism
- Face shield mechanism features PVS (Perimetrical Visor Seal)
- GT 2 scratch-resistant, anti-fog polycarbonate face shield with 100% protection from UV rays
- Integrated drop-down Sun Visor (ISV) is scratch-resistant
- Removable breath deflector
- Removable windproof chin strap protection
- Fully removable and washable 3D inner liner and cheek pads
- Double-D ring chin strap
DOT approved HIR-TH (High Resistant Thermo-Plastic Resin) outer shell
Originally designed for snowmobiles, this helmet was taken over by the motorbike sector since it provides excellent safety and comfort conditions for the roads.
- Retractable inner smoke sun-visor
- Anti-scratch treated visor
- Fully ventilated
- Removable and washable interior liners and cheek pads
- Single button for chin-guard opening
- Proclip quick release mechanism
- Cheek pads are glasses friendly
- Ready to receive communication system headset
The injection molding plastic shell that meets the DOT standard FMVSS218