The intake of fresh oxygen into the human body is done by the respiratory system which includes our lungs. But the blood inside our body carries the oxygen to all parts of the body. This is done by dissolving oxygen in the blood. For all parts of the body receive oxygen adequately, the blood must be always saturated with adequate amounts of dissolved oxygen.
- How the Quantity of Oxygen Dissolved in Blood Is Measured?
- List of the Best Pulse Oximeter for Measuring the Oxygen Saturation Level in Your Blood
- The Best Pulse Oximeter Reviews
- 1. Zacurate 500BL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 2. Zacurate Pro Series 500DL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 3. Zacurate® Pro Series 500DL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 4. Santamedical Generation 2 SM-165 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 5. CMS 50-DL Pulse Oximeter
- 6. CONTEC Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 7. iProven Pulse Oximeter Fingertip
- 8. AccuMed Pulse Oximeter
- 9. MIBEST Silver Dual Color OLED Finger Pulse Oximeter
- 10. Bluetooth Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- How to Select the Best Pulse Oximeter?
How the Quantity of Oxygen Dissolved in Blood Is Measured?
Whenever you undergo a medical check up, the blood oxygen level is measured. It is done with the help of a more involved test called the ABG test. It can also be measured with the help of a small device called the pulse oximeter.
List of the Best Pulse Oximeter for Measuring the Oxygen Saturation Level in Your Blood
Zacurate 500BL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
Zacurate Pro Series 500DL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
Zacurate® Pro Series 500DL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
Santamedical Generation 2 SM-165 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
CMS 50-DL Pulse Oximeter
CONTEC Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
iProven Pulse Oximeter Fingertip
AccuMed Pulse Oximeter
MIBEST Silver Dual Color OLED Finger Pulse Oximeter
Bluetooth Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
The Best Pulse Oximeter Reviews
Since there are a large number of pulse oximeters available, we decided to look at all of the options available. This would help us highlight the top ten brands, in no particular order.
You get readings very fast, but the speed does not affect its accuracy, though. You can get accurate readings with a maximum of +/- 2% deviation.
- It takes just 10 seconds for this small device to measure the blood oxygen saturation levels.
- It also provides the feature to check your pulse rate. During this period, you will see the reading alternating quickly between several numbers.
- You must wait for the reading to stabilize in around 10 seconds.
- The mechanism is housed in a tough ABS plastic casing to ensure that ambient conditions do not affect the reading.
- Its longest dimension is 2.2” (length), so it can be carried around easily.
- One addition could have been more useful – some kind of indicator for too low/too high readings.
- On the plus side, it does indicate low battery level, and also has a lanyard which can help keep it within reach always.
The first thing about this pulse oximeter that attracted us was its striking black color. Even in black, you have two options – Royal Black, and Mystic Black.
- This is the only comparable device among its contemporaries/competitors which can display up to 100% of SpO2 value.
- When this product is shipped to you, it comes with two AAA batteries, a lanyard, and a silicon cover.
- Because of the efficient spring system, it easily fits all thicknesses of fingers. That is why people of all ages can use it.
If you are a mountain climber, biker, or a skier, then it is important that you keep track of your SpO2 and your pulse rate. This is important while you are practicing and also when you are off the field. The Zacurate Pro Series 500DL is your perfect ally for this purpose.
- It is convenient to carry and use and its readings are reliable enough for you to plan your exercise regimen.
- Any ambient infrared rays around the device won’t affect its readings. This is because of the solid ABS plastic case that is shipped along with its device when you order it.
- You will find no deviation of the oxyhemoglobin value between readings taken outdoors and indoors.
The bright LED screen displays the oxygen saturation levels, pulse rates, and also the battery levels. These numbers can be conveniently read off from any direction.
- When you order this product, you get the AAA batteries in the shipment, so you can simply unbox and begin using it.
- You also get a sturdy case, a neck/wrist cord, and a very useful user manual. The one button operation of this wonderful device is likely not to require you to reach out for help, though.
- The readings can be taken as simple numbers, but you can also get waveforms and bar graphs to understand your body’s trends.
- You can use it conveniently at home, but it is also good to use while you are outside riding, training, or hiking.
The CMS 50-DL pulse oximeter is one of the earliest Pulse Oximeters. Since then it has seen a lot of imitation products, but the appeal of the CMS still endures.
- The case is strong enough to prevent damage or the ill-effects of the light waves in the vicinity. But the snap off cover at the back ensures that the batteries can be removed or replaced easily.
- We loved the fact that it turns itself off after 5 seconds without use, thus helping increase battery life.
You can be assured that this product complies with the CE and FDA standards, so you can use it for any medical check-up. CONTEC also has confidence in their product and provides a year’s warranty.
- The pair of batteries provided at the time of purchase would last for 20 hours.
- The above, coupled with the automatic switch off after 5 seconds of inactivity, ensure that you can use the device for weeks and months on end.
- This lightweight device is easy to carry around, and the lanyard allows you to keep it on your person.
- It is pretty to use as well, with a one-touch operation and bright red readings on the LED screen which can be easily read from a long way off.
The best thing we liked about this device is that it gave us more than numbers which are provided by all other devices also. The iProven device gave us a bar graph to provide a real-time status update.
- We also liked the fact that whenever the saturation measurements went below 94%, it gave a notification.
- Similar notifications were provided when the pulse rate went below 50 or above 130.
- We found the 100-day money-back guarantee a strong vote of confidence from the manufacturer.
- The folks at the customer care numbers were also helpful and knowledgeable.
- We found their advice to warm our fingers before taking a reading quite helpful. They also advised to keep still during the measurement.
You get a unique travel case with the AccuMed device, which is something that we haven’t found in any of the devices we have reviewed so far, so that really caught our attention. Moreover, it didn’t impact the accuracy of the readings.
- The quality of the device is also good by itself.
- We tried out this device at home, while running, and also while traveling. It provided quick and accurate readings every time we used it.
- We got readings for oxygen saturation, pulse rate, pulse intensity, and a pulse wave.
- We would recommend it to anyone who spends a lot of time in difficult environments or does strenuous activity. This device can give real-time monitoring of the heart and the blood oxygen level.
The first unique thing we noticed about this device was the silver color. Another thing we found different from the other devices was the fact that we could read the numbers off easily from all four directions.
- This device gave us 4 options of display modes, and the brightness can be adjusted across 10 levels, providing a great deal of flexibility.
- The flexibility was also for patient ages, with paediatric as well as geriatric measurements possible.
- The operation was quite simple, meaning anyone could use it easily with the single touch operation.
- We were delighted to learn that 90% of the reviewers of this product on Amazon gave it a five-star rating, in line with our positive view.
We mentioned this right at the end of the top 10 list because we found in it almost all the good features of the other 9 we have listed above.
- Additionally, it needs you to install a mobile application called Oxitracker. It can synchronize the readings to the Oxitracker in real time through the use of Bluetooth technology.
- This means that you can also get historical data and track trends over a period of time.
How to Select the Best Pulse Oximeter?
We made a list of the features that were present or missing in all the devices we took a look at. Based on that, we came up with a wish list of the things our most favorite pulse oximeters should have.
- Low variance from accurate/real readings. We would suggest to only consider devices which do not deviate more than 2% above or below the actual SpO2 levels.
- We would want the device to be lightweight and easy to carry around so that the patients can use the oximeter whenever and wherever they want.
- Flexibility in the spring system should assure that the device could be used by senior citizens and kids alike. For the same reason, the display should be bright and visible from a distance.
We can strongly recommend all the above ten products based on the rigorous trials we carried out. The only two disclaimers we have are that these 10, which finally made it to our list, are not listed above in any particular order. Second, since this is a matter of a person’s health, we left out the cost from the equation.